One killed, two injured in complicated chain-reaction pileup on Houston's North Loop
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deadly chain-reaction pileup snowballed out of control early Sunday in northwest Houston, and police are looking for the hit-and-run driver who set it all into motion.
It began just before 3:30am on the North Loop West, eastbound just over Shepherd at Nicholson.
According to the Houston Police Department, one person was killed and two others were hospitalized in the multiple-vehicle collision, which they said was actually five accidents at one scene.
Authorities said it all started with a hit-and-run crash in the eastbound lanes. A hit-and-run driver clipped a Chevrolet Impala, which then spun around and hit a Toyota.
Police said the male Toyota driver got out, was disoriented, and fell to the ground. He was run over by a Honda and died at the scene. Officers believe the Honda driver was intoxicated and could face charges.
A passenger in the Honda got out and was also struck by a car. He was rushed to an area hospital and is expected to recover.
Officers were already at the scene when the final collision occurred.
"While our units were conducting traffic control, another drunk driver hit one of our police vehicles," HPD Sgt. Karl Harris said.
That driver was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.
Officers are still looking for the hit-and-run driver who got away. Anyone with information can call HPD or Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat 38 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery