Stolen ambulance crashes in Bellaire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston Police Department chase ended Monday night with a stolen ambulance totaled in Bellaire.
The ambulance crashed into a pillar on Beltway 8 at Bellaire Boulevard.
Police received multiple calls about an ambulance with lights and sirens running, veering all over the Beltway and crossing medians. They caught up with the driver, who led them on a brief chase until the crash.
No one was seriously hurt.
According to the Houston Fire Department, one of their ambulances even joined the chase.
"It's under investigation as to how he exactly took the ambulance. But also, one of our ambulances spotted him driving recklessly, too. And they followed him as well," HFD District Chief James Watson said.
According to investigators, the ambulance was stolen from Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital.
The suspect was jailed Monday night. Police are trying to figure out why the he stole the ambulance and whether he was a patient or passerby at the hospital.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle