Brazoria County church goes up in flames
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- Alvin firefighters worked to try to save a church from flames in Brazoria County Tuesday
At about 12:30pm, firefighters were called to the Houston Tamil Church on State Highway 6 at Monclair Hill to find flames shooting from the building. No one was injured, but the church is a total loss. The fire was so hot and so dangerous it took hours to bring the blaze under control.
Pearland Fire Chief Vance Riley said, "It got inside the church and we were trying to contain it inside the church, but it just became too dangerous to remain in there given the limited water supply. So the firefighters had to go to outside."
Firefighters believe the fire started at a shed next to the church and quickly spread. The wind was strong and water in short supply.
All 25 families that attend services are from south India. This is the only local church that provides Protestant services in their native language -- Tamil.
Rev. Duraimony Dickson said, "We hope in Jesus Christ that God will provide another place for us. We will rebuild the building."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- College students paid to take a year off? 31 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake 33 min ago
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage 37 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Dannon to reduce sugar in yogurt for kids
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death