Brazoria County church goes up in flames
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- Alvin firefighters worked to try to save a church from flames in Brazoria County Tuesday
At about 12:30pm, firefighters were called to the Houston Tamil Church on State Highway 6 at Monclair Hill to find flames shooting from the building. No one was injured, but the church is a total loss. The fire was so hot and so dangerous it took hours to bring the blaze under control.
Pearland Fire Chief Vance Riley said, "It got inside the church and we were trying to contain it inside the church, but it just became too dangerous to remain in there given the limited water supply. So the firefighters had to go to outside."
Firefighters believe the fire started at a shed next to the church and quickly spread. The wind was strong and water in short supply.
All 25 families that attend services are from south India. This is the only local church that provides Protestant services in their native language -- Tamil.
Rev. Duraimony Dickson said, "We hope in Jesus Christ that God will provide another place for us. We will rebuild the building."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man collapses in street and dies in SW Houston 35 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston 57 min ago
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Want to buy pot, legally? Head to Uruguay
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos