Brazoria County church goes up in flames
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- Alvin firefighters worked to try to save a church from flames in Brazoria County Tuesday
At about 12:30pm, firefighters were called to the Houston Tamil Church on State Highway 6 at Monclair Hill to find flames shooting from the building. No one was injured, but the church is a total loss. The fire was so hot and so dangerous it took hours to bring the blaze under control.
Pearland Fire Chief Vance Riley said, "It got inside the church and we were trying to contain it inside the church, but it just became too dangerous to remain in there given the limited water supply. So the firefighters had to go to outside."
Firefighters believe the fire started at a shed next to the church and quickly spread. The wind was strong and water in short supply.
All 25 families that attend services are from south India. This is the only local church that provides Protestant services in their native language -- Tamil.
Rev. Duraimony Dickson said, "We hope in Jesus Christ that God will provide another place for us. We will rebuild the building."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 39 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 48 min ago
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations 25 min ago
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'