Classes canceled today at Claughton Middle School due to fire
HOSUTON (KTRK) -- A Spring ISD school caught fire overnight. The damage was minor but authorities decided it would be best to close the school today.
The fire broke out in the kitchen of Claughton Middle School on Spears Road and Walters around 1am.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming out of the building. They made their way into the cafeteria and found hot dog buns inside a food warmer had caught fire.
Several appliances in the kitchen were damaged and smoke filled the entire school.
"Right now we have heavy smoke in the school itself. We are trying to ventilate the smoke in the school right now," said Deputy Chief Don Gilkey with the Little York Fire Department.
The fire marshal and health department decided the school should be closed today. Classes will resume tomorrow.
School officials say the fire appears to be accidental and caused by some sort of electrical issue. The health department will be looking into the damage here because food was involved.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home