Classes canceled today at Claughton Middle School due to fire
HOSUTON (KTRK) -- A Spring ISD school caught fire overnight. The damage was minor but authorities decided it would be best to close the school today.
The fire broke out in the kitchen of Claughton Middle School on Spears Road and Walters around 1am.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming out of the building. They made their way into the cafeteria and found hot dog buns inside a food warmer had caught fire.
Several appliances in the kitchen were damaged and smoke filled the entire school.
"Right now we have heavy smoke in the school itself. We are trying to ventilate the smoke in the school right now," said Deputy Chief Don Gilkey with the Little York Fire Department.
The fire marshal and health department decided the school should be closed today. Classes will resume tomorrow.
School officials say the fire appears to be accidental and caused by some sort of electrical issue. The health department will be looking into the damage here because food was involved.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- New record set at RodeoHouston school art auction 1 min ago
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- North Loop WB at Highway 290 shut down due to lost load
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- HISD expanding dual language program
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?