Classes canceled today at Claughton Middle School due to fire
HOSUTON (KTRK) -- A Spring ISD school caught fire overnight. The damage was minor but authorities decided it would be best to close the school today.
The fire broke out in the kitchen of Claughton Middle School on Spears Road and Walters around 1am.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming out of the building. They made their way into the cafeteria and found hot dog buns inside a food warmer had caught fire.
Several appliances in the kitchen were damaged and smoke filled the entire school.
"Right now we have heavy smoke in the school itself. We are trying to ventilate the smoke in the school right now," said Deputy Chief Don Gilkey with the Little York Fire Department.
The fire marshal and health department decided the school should be closed today. Classes will resume tomorrow.
School officials say the fire appears to be accidental and caused by some sort of electrical issue. The health department will be looking into the damage here because food was involved.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos