Woman, 71, sentenced to 6 months in jail for murder
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A nearly 30-year-old cold case has finally come to a conclusion. A woman convicted of murdering her husband in 1985 was sentenced Wednesday. But the victim's family says her time will not match her crime.
She looks like she could be your grandmother; thin, mild-mannered and wearing a long grey braid. But 71-year-old Carolyn Krizan-Wilson is now a convicted murderer.
"We knew it and everybody that knew the situation knew it," said Linda Petty, the victim's sister. "Some of her friends, oh she couldn't do that. But she said, 'I did it,' and that's what we really wanted to hear."
Krizan-Wilson admitted to murdering her ex-husband, Roy McCaleb, back in 1985.
"They had only been married like a year and nine months," said Pamela McCaleb Nalley, the victim's daughter. "Come to find out he was her seventh husband. She did get arrested for bigamy after my daddy died because she was still married to somebody."
Krizan-Wilson, who is now struggling with dementia, was sentenced to just six months in jail and ten years of probation.
"Her age and her medical condition, I think all sides realized this was probably the right and just decision to make for all parties," said defense attorney Stafford James.
Prosecutors say they accepted a plea deal because they couldn't risk taking the case to trial.
"There's not a lot of evidence to go on," said prosecutor Bill Exley. "You can find yourself in a situation where you know someone's guilty but you might not have the proof you need to get it to court."
"One day, she's going to have to talk to God and she's going to have to face what she did," said Nalley. "There are higher powers."
Her sentence begins on December 26, the day after Christmas.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 48 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 49 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 36 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale