Cyclospora outbreak traced to Ft. Bend Co. restaurant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have new developments on a cyclospora outbreak that's made hundreds of people sick here in Texas and in many other states. As far as those who got sick in our area, it turns out they may have all eaten at the same restaurant.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the FDA, the outbreak is linked to cilantro served in Fort Bend County. Investigators traced the source of the cilantro to Puebla, Mexico.
The outbreak started in June and the CDC says as of September 20, there were 643 cases in 25 states, including Texas.
Nationwide, 45 patients were hospitalized, but no one has died as a result of the infection.
Here in Texas, there were 278 cases. Thirty people reported having eaten at a Mexican restaurant in Fort Bend County two weeks before their symptoms started. Officials haven't released the name of the restaurant.
This is the second cyclospora outbreak this year. The other is linked to Taylor Farms salad mix in Mexico.
Cyclosporiasis is an intestinal infection caused by a parasite. Symptoms can include bloating, cramping, loss of appetite and weight loss.
Scientists say this outbreak appears to be over. There's no evidence of any contaminated salad mix or cilantro still lingering on the market.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 48 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 47 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 24 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 42 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
46 min ago