Officer fatally shoots knife-wielding man caught stabbing woman on Houston's south side
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman is fighting for her live after police shot and killed her son as he violently attacked her last night on Houston's south side. That woman remains in the hospital after police say her son stabbed her multiple times in their apartment.
It happened at the Simmons Garden Senior Citizen living complex. Police say the son, identified as Matthew Deshune Swiney, 22, stabbed and beat his mother and was then killed after an officer opened fire on him.
"Nice young man, really nice guy," said neighbor Gloria Jefferson, describing Swiney. "I can't understand."
Jefferson, who lives steps away from the fatal shooting and stabbing, says she is saddened by the outcome of this domestic disturbance. She says she didn't hear a thing prior to police arriving and says the mother and son who lived in the apartment together seemed to have no problems.
"Real nice, sweet lady," said Jefferson. "Stuck to herself. Her and her son, most of the time, they go in their car, go do what they have to do. They'll speak, you know. But they were quiet."
Police say they were dispatched to the apartment around 11pm. When they arrived, they heard a woman screaming for help inside. When they looked through the windows at one point, they witnessed the Swiney armed with both a hammer and knife.
"When they were keeping an eye on him through the window is when he dragged the female down the hallway," said Jodi Silva with the Houston Police Department. "She already had several stab wounds when they were able to see her. So when they saw him raise the knife to stab her an additional time is when they felt her life was in immediate danger and they discharged their weapon. Only one officer discharged his weapon."
This morning, other neighbors who also live next door tell us they are shocked about what happened.
"Yes it scares me that close to me, yeah," said resident Earlene Randle.
"It was a shock. But other than that, I didn't see it," said nearby resident Mary Johnson
The mother involved did undergo surgery overnight for multiple stab wounds and trauma to her head. Her current condition is not known. Police say Swiley has had no prior run-ins with the law before last night.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations 21 min ago
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 9 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'