Officer fatally shoots knife-wielding man caught stabbing woman on Houston's south side
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman is fighting for her live after police shot and killed her son as he violently attacked her last night on Houston's south side. That woman remains in the hospital after police say her son stabbed her multiple times in their apartment.
It happened at the Simmons Garden Senior Citizen living complex. Police say the son, identified as Matthew Deshune Swiney, 22, stabbed and beat his mother and was then killed after an officer opened fire on him.
"Nice young man, really nice guy," said neighbor Gloria Jefferson, describing Swiney. "I can't understand."
Jefferson, who lives steps away from the fatal shooting and stabbing, says she is saddened by the outcome of this domestic disturbance. She says she didn't hear a thing prior to police arriving and says the mother and son who lived in the apartment together seemed to have no problems.
"Real nice, sweet lady," said Jefferson. "Stuck to herself. Her and her son, most of the time, they go in their car, go do what they have to do. They'll speak, you know. But they were quiet."
Police say they were dispatched to the apartment around 11pm. When they arrived, they heard a woman screaming for help inside. When they looked through the windows at one point, they witnessed the Swiney armed with both a hammer and knife.
"When they were keeping an eye on him through the window is when he dragged the female down the hallway," said Jodi Silva with the Houston Police Department. "She already had several stab wounds when they were able to see her. So when they saw him raise the knife to stab her an additional time is when they felt her life was in immediate danger and they discharged their weapon. Only one officer discharged his weapon."
This morning, other neighbors who also live next door tell us they are shocked about what happened.
"Yes it scares me that close to me, yeah," said resident Earlene Randle.
"It was a shock. But other than that, I didn't see it," said nearby resident Mary Johnson
The mother involved did undergo surgery overnight for multiple stab wounds and trauma to her head. Her current condition is not known. Police say Swiley has had no prior run-ins with the law before last night.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping baby
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- How to lose the last 10 pounds
- Man killed while trying to cross North Freeway
- Missing stop sign blamed for accident in Montgomery Co.
- Ford to offer 50th anniversary Mustang
- The best and worst jobs for 2014