Former employee accused of stealing from probation department and probationers
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A probation employee is accused of stealing thousands of dollars. The alleged theft is a big deal, because Daylan Wilturner allegedly stole from dozens of probationers, who were simply doing what they were supposed to do.
Daylan Dsean Wilturner is now a former Harris County worker who's accused of stealing from the Harris County Supervision and Corrections Department and dozens of its probationers. Investigators say the alleged thefts happened when the 22-year-old man was working as an office clerk at a probation office's branch on Eastex Freeway.
Assistant District Attorney Michele Oncken said, "If it was after 4, they would give their money orders to Mr. Wilturner. The problem was that he then pocketed those money orders and he didn't turn them into probation, and therefore it wasn't documented that these probationers actually did what they were supposed to do and paid their fines."
Oncken, with Harris County DA's public integrity division, says the probation office got a complaint in March, after a woman discovered she didn't get credit for paying her fine from a DWI. Oncken says an intense investigation showed Wilturner allegedly altered money orders paid by 59 probationers between January and February, and pocketed about $7,000.
Probationers we talked to at the branch say they're shocked.
Dany said, "I don't know if I want to make a payment anymore now. I mean, I'm afraid. What if someone's doing credit card fraud now?"
A spokesman from the probation department says Wilturner was fired. The probationers victimized in his alleged theft scheme have been identified and prosecutors say they won't be penalized.
Additionally, investigators want you to take a good look at Christopher Broussard, seen in several Harris County booking photos from recent arrests. Investigators say Broussard is a co-defendant in this theft scheme who's yet to be arrested.
Wilturner has bonded out of jail. Investigators are asking anyone who knows the whereabouts of Christopher Broussard to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 43 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- ABC13 broacasting Texans vs. Jags game Thursday night
- Man finds his brother murdered in home 51 min ago
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect 38 min ago
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle 52 min ago
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations 46 min ago
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Search for Missouri fugitive moves to Houston
- Nude pics on Instagram lead to sex assault suspects
- Houston Restaurant Violation Report as of...
45 min ago