Group says Congressman Ted Poe went back on promise regarding immigration reform
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texas Congressman Ted Poe's office is responding to claims by activists that Poe is going back on a promise regarding immigration reform.
Mi Familia Vota held a protest outside of Congressman Poe's office near Memorial Park Friday. The group claims Poe went back on his word to bring a vote on immigration legislation. The activists say they will hold Poe and his Republican colleagues accountable.
"After the budget crisis, he stated that he did not like the way that President Obama held talks, so we're her to tell him that he promised us a vote on citizenship and we will hold him accountable for that vote," said Silvia Chica with Mi Familia Vota.
A spokeswoman for the congressman says Poe does want immigration reform. The spokeswoman says the activists' claims were based on erroneous information in a recent Breitbart.com article that has since been corrected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 12 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 7 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 34 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 15 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 42 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born