Group says Congressman Ted Poe went back on promise regarding immigration reform
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texas Congressman Ted Poe's office is responding to claims by activists that Poe is going back on a promise regarding immigration reform.
Mi Familia Vota held a protest outside of Congressman Poe's office near Memorial Park Friday. The group claims Poe went back on his word to bring a vote on immigration legislation. The activists say they will hold Poe and his Republican colleagues accountable.
"After the budget crisis, he stated that he did not like the way that President Obama held talks, so we're her to tell him that he promised us a vote on citizenship and we will hold him accountable for that vote," said Silvia Chica with Mi Familia Vota.
A spokeswoman for the congressman says Poe does want immigration reform. The spokeswoman says the activists' claims were based on erroneous information in a recent Breitbart.com article that has since been corrected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?