Deputies arrest man accused of killing mom, sister
SPRING, TX (KTRK) -- The Harris County Sheriff's Office says a man wanted in connection to the murder of his mother and sister is behind bars, but he failed to appear in court early this morning.
Mark Gideon was arrested around 6:20pm yesterday near the intersection of Herald Avenue and McCarty Drive in east Houston.
Gideon is accused of killing his sister, 52-year-old Vonda Gideon, and their 75-year-old mother, Margaret Gideon, at a home in the 9200 block of Kirkleigh Lane in northwest Houston. Officials believe the victims had been dead for several days before a concerned neighbor called authorities on Thursday and asked them to perform a welfare check. Both appeared to have suffered some type of head trauma.
Vonda's car white Honda Ridgeline was stolen from the scene but later recovered in east Houston hours later.
Authorities say a tip helped them find and nab Gideon. According to a Harris County Sheriff's Office statement, he provided investigators with "a complete statement regarding the deaths of his mother and sister."
Gideon, 54, is being held without bond at the Harris County Jail on two capital murder charges. A Harris County court clerk read the charges against him around 2am, but he wasn't there to hear them. According to officials, he didn't show up in court because of a medical issue. No additional details have been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane 4 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV 15 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 32 min ago
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 7 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat