Deputies arrest man accused of killing mom, sister
SPRING, TX (KTRK) -- The Harris County Sheriff's Office says a man wanted in connection to the murder of his mother and sister is behind bars, but he failed to appear in court early this morning.
Mark Gideon was arrested around 6:20pm yesterday near the intersection of Herald Avenue and McCarty Drive in east Houston.
Gideon is accused of killing his sister, 52-year-old Vonda Gideon, and their 75-year-old mother, Margaret Gideon, at a home in the 9200 block of Kirkleigh Lane in northwest Houston. Officials believe the victims had been dead for several days before a concerned neighbor called authorities on Thursday and asked them to perform a welfare check. Both appeared to have suffered some type of head trauma.
Vonda's car white Honda Ridgeline was stolen from the scene but later recovered in east Houston hours later.
Authorities say a tip helped them find and nab Gideon. According to a Harris County Sheriff's Office statement, he provided investigators with "a complete statement regarding the deaths of his mother and sister."
Gideon, 54, is being held without bond at the Harris County Jail on two capital murder charges. A Harris County court clerk read the charges against him around 2am, but he wasn't there to hear them. According to officials, he didn't show up in court because of a medical issue. No additional details have been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 36 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- New cameras to help cops settle disputes
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- One dead, others injured in Baytown wreck 4 min ago
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market 47 min ago
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day