Three at large after smash-and-grab jewelry heist at Kohl's department store near Pearland
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- Brazoria County Sheriff's Office investigators are searching for three people after a smash-and-grab robbery at a Kohl's department store
It happened around 10am Saturday at a Kohl's store on FM 518 and Highway 288. Deputies are still trying to put a dollar amount on the heist.
"Some jewelry is like thousand dollars, two thousand dollars on sale," one customer told us. "It's easy to attract customers; at the same time easy to attract other people."
The store was not only robbed of its jewelry, but also about half of a day's worth of business. Crime scene tape blocked off the two front entrances as investigators combed the scene for clues.
According to deputies, three black males were dropped off at the front of the store in a tan or gold Ford Taurus. They were caught on camera as they walked inside and headed directly to the jewelry counter, officials said.
Witnesses said the suspects weren't carrying weapons; just a sledge hammer to break the jewelry cases. They smashed the cases, grabbed diamonds and other jewels from inside and ran away -- in and out in less than five minutes.
Investigators said the men had their faces covered and did not make any threats to customers or employees inside. They got what they wanted and left.
The store was closed temporarily. Customers like Brenda Jacobs were turned away.
"I guess times are hard," Jacobs said. "There's a good selection of jewelry. I can say that."
The suspects fled in the same older-model gold or tan Ford Taurus and have not been captured. If you have any information about this crime, you are asked to call BCSO. "It shouldn't happen in Pearland, first of all," a resident said. "It's a good neighborhood."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 11 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd