Several Conroe ISD school buses go up in flames at bus barn
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Several buses that take kids to school in Conroe are out of commission today after a fire ripped through part of the bus barn overnight.
It happened around 1:30am at the Conroe ISD barn located right behind Armstrong Elementary School off Gladstell. Firefighters responded quickly and were able to stop the fire from spreading to more buses.
The fire is out and it doesn't appear there will be a delay in getting kids to school on time this morning.
We're told three buses are destroyed and one was damaged. The structure the buses were parked under was also damaged.
The Conroe fire chief said this could have been much worse had firefighters not gotten here so quickly.
"Obviously you see the amount of buses that are here. Crews arriving within 3 to 4 minutes made a big difference with that for sure," said Chief Michael Gosselin with the Conroe Fire Department.
About 100 buses total park at the bus barn.
It's unclear at this time who called the fire in to dispatch. The cause is under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course