HS football player accused of murder during Halloween party
WEIMAR, TX (KTRK) -- A Weimar High School star football player is in jail, charged with murder just days after fans were cheering the teen on the field last Friday.
JaKyle Harris, 18, is accused of shooting and killing Dustin Donovan Smith during an altercation early Sunday morning.
The police chief says JaKyle Harris was attending a Halloween party at the VFW Hall at the Fayette County Fairgrounds in La Grange. While at the party, the chief says five or six people got into an argument. Two shots were fired just before 3am, and police say Harris was the only person in attendance with a gun.
Police say one bullet killed Smith, and the other struck another man who was taken to Columbus Hospital with minor injuries.
JaKyle Harris was arrested at his home in Weimer 13 hours later. Police say they recovered a pistol behind his home. Two other people were also arrested, accused of bleaching the gun so police wouldn't be able to track it.
"It was a .32 caliber pistol that was recovered," said La Grange Police Chief Jackie Skelton. "The gun was tampered with. The individuals in the Weimar area had bleached the gun, trying to destroy evidence that was on there. The Ranger and my investigator, along with the officers from Weimar located the gun. It was hanging on a fence, I believe, behind the residence."
Police say more arrests and charges may be forthcoming in this case.
Family friends say Harris is a popular boy and a good student who did nothing wrong, but was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Harris is now in jail on a $750,000 bond, charged with first degree murder.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Man collapses in street and dies in SW Houston
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Suspect to bank teller: 'I'm having a bad day' 13 min ago
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot 36 min ago
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Lombardi Award finalists hang with kids from TCH 41 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident
- 5 Things to Know for Today
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos