Teen struck by car in Alvin dies; search for driver continues
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- A family is grieving as police investigate the hit-and-run death of a 15-year-old Alvin girl.
Investigators have just recovered the vehicle that they say slammed into the girl and they expect to make an arrest soon.
"I can't imagine somebody hitting a child and taking off. That's horrible," parent Pat Ayres said.
She was walking down County Road 424 and Mustang on Monday evening when investigators say a truck slammed into her. Yolanda Solis, 15, was taken to the hospital by helicopter. She died the next day from her injuries.
"I don't believe she ever saw it coming," DPS Corp. James Wright said.
Investigators say the suspect drove off after hitting the teenager. But after receiving several tips from the public, they are now close to making an arrest.
"You can run, but you'll be found eventually," Wright said. "The vehicle has been taken to the Brazoria County sheriff's department, where we're waiting to get it processed."
Investigators are still looking into whether the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
"It's always best to walk against traffic so you can see traffic coming, and if it's coming close to you, you can move out of the way. Or possibly carry a flashlight; that can't hurt either," Wright said.
Solis was an eighth grader at Alvin Junior High School. On Wednesday, counselors met with students and staff there.
"I think of my grandkids. I live with them and it would scare me to have something happen to them," Ayres said.
The suspect is expected to be charged with felony failure to render air.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
alvin, local, pooja lodhia
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Police: Ohio infant apparently killed by dogs
- Lululemon founder stepping down after gaffe
- Canada to claim North Pole as their own
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on hand
- Woman accused of having sex with boy, 14
- Senate and House leaders reach deal on budget agreement
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos