HISD: Loaded gun found in 9-year-old student's backpack
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A letter went home to parents of a Houston elementary school after a loaded gun was found in a student's backpack Tuesday.
It happened at Patterson Elementary School. According to a district statement, fellow students saw the gun and reported it to a teacher. The teacher then immediately confiscated the 9-year-old student's backpack, took it to the office and called HISD police.
Police investigated and learned the child brought the gun from home.
According to HISD, disciplinary action is being taken against the student. Aside from a letter that was sent to parents, they were also notified by phone.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands 48 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today?
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale