HISD: Loaded gun found in 9-year-old student's backpack
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A letter went home to parents of a Houston elementary school after a loaded gun was found in a student's backpack Tuesday.
It happened at Patterson Elementary School. According to a district statement, fellow students saw the gun and reported it to a teacher. The teacher then immediately confiscated the 9-year-old student's backpack, took it to the office and called HISD police.
Police investigated and learned the child brought the gun from home.
According to HISD, disciplinary action is being taken against the student. Aside from a letter that was sent to parents, they were also notified by phone.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 14 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 15 min ago
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site 34 min ago
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza' 14 min ago
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Restaurant robbery attempt foiled by quick-thinking worker 3 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof