Gate welded shut putting students in harm's way
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some northwest Harris County residents are not happy with their homeowners' association, saying a fence is putting their children at risk. The kids keep climbing the fence near Klein Forest High School.
Resident Elida Garcia says it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt trying to climb over a fence, and that someone could very well be her own grandkids. She says it's been an ongoing problem ever since the gate that leads to Klein Forest High School was welded shut by the homeowners' association back in August. Now, students are forced to walk about a mile on a busy stretch of Champions Forest just to get to school.
Resident Alexandra Hernandez explained, "They have to go all around the neighborhood on Champions Forest and there's that risk of them being run over or not making it to school."
Hernandez used the gate for years to get to school but is now having to drive her younger brother to and from campus because she doesn't want to see him get hurt.
She said, "I'm just afraid one of these days I'm going to look over and there's going to be a body hanging down just like stuck in between the fence, because it's pointy and anybody can slip and fall."
The homeowners' association wouldn't go on camera to discuss this story. But over the phone they explained they were having problems with nonresidents using a park to hang out, loiter and, in some cases, even do drugs. The quick fix was to weld the gate shut to keep trespassers out.
Garcia doesn't agree with that decision and says she is now on a mission, asking one neighbor at a time to sign her petition to open the gate and keep the students safe.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 16 min ago
- Arctic cold front blows in 18 min ago
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison 51 min ago
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- Teen girl charged in fight caught on video 16 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Travis Herzog's chilly forecast
42 min ago