Alert neighbor credited for helping to catch burglary suspect
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspected burglar was arrested in north Harris County, due to the help of a neighbor. The search for the crooks forced two nearby schools to go under lockdown. The break-in happened on North Bend near Northlawn Wednesday morning.
Those two Spring ISD schools, Dekany High School and Booker Elementary School, were on lockdown for about three hours, until just after 1pm, while deputies with Harris County Precinct 4 were trying to look for two men who broke into a home. One of those men was caught, thanks to an alert neighbor.
That neighbor called 911 immediately and deputies were able to arrive as the men were still trying to get inside the home. That's when a short pursuit began.
Deputies say the suspects fled in a stolen silver Nissan. They arrived at a dead end and that's when officials say the chase ended.
One man was arrested on the spot. The other was able to run away. Despite a search on foot for that second man, deputies were not able to find him.
They are thankful for the help of that very aware neighbor.
"It's a good thing when neighbors are watching out for one another," said Assistant Chief Woody Mitchell with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office. "These are good neighborhoods, but crime's up all over."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Search expands for missing Rice U student 29 min ago
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods 44 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing