Woman charged with sex assault after sending teen love letters
CLEVELAND, TX (KTRK) -- A Cleveland, Texas, woman with a youthful appearance is accused of sexually assaulting a child, and police say her looks may have played a role.
On Thursday, October 24, the Cleveland Police Department arrested Brittany Morgan, 23, for aggravated sexual assault of a child.
The investigation began 2010 when concerned parents contacted the Cleveland Police Department after they found what appeared to be love letters sent to their daughter from Morgan. Police conducted an investigation, and but they were unable to establish sufficient enough evidence to file any charges at that time.
On October 15, 2013, Cleveland police officers were called to Morgan's house in the 1300 block of south Franklin Street for a disturbance. While on scene, an anonymous person reported to the responding officers that "they believed Brittany Morgan was having sexual contact with underage females."
Detective John Shaver was able to gather additional evidence, and establish the fact that probable cause did exist. An arrest warrant for Morgan was issued for the sexual assault of a 14-year-old female in 2010.
"It's believed Morgan's young appearance assisted her in being able to gain access to minors, which in turn led to her taking advantage of them," Detective Shaver said.
Should other evidence or victims surface in this case, it may later lead to further charges being filed, police say.
Morgan is being held in the Liberty County Jail, charged with sexual assault. Her bond has been set at $50,000.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 6 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 14 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 12 min ago
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash