Speed may be to blame for fatal motorcycle accident on North Loop
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A fatal motorcycle accident shut down all westbound lanes of 610 North Loop West at Ella for several hours during rush hour.
The accident happened just after 2am and the freeway was closed between Shepherd and T.C. Jester for several hours.
Police say that the motorcyclist was traveling at a very high rate of speed when he failed to maintain his lane and slammed into the retractable divider at the T.C. Jester exit. The driver was thrown about 50 feet forward and killed instantly.
This wreck then caused a chain reaction for another driver passing by just seconds after the motorcycle driver lost control.
"Right after that accident, another vehicle struck a motorcycle part and that vehicle actually engulfed in flames, that driver was not injured," Sgt. Ignacio Izaguirre with the Houston Police Department.
All traffic was forced off the freeway at the Ella exit. The freeway was reopened just after 5:30am but traffic remains heavy in the area.
An investigation is underway.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for northern counties 32 min ago
- Texans fall to Jags for 11th straight loss
- New details emerge about bizarre alleged break-in
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Ice storm in North Texas cuts power to more than 250K 1 min ago
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- Move over emerald, a new color will take over next year
- Inexpensive tips to make your present...
40 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos