Houston police officer fires at suspect, 17, in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An investigation is underway after a Houston Police Department officer discharged his weapon at a far-southwest Houston apartment complex Sunday morning.
It happened at Willow Park Apartments in the 1400 block of Fondren near Cangelosi.
According to police, officers on patrol received a tip that a stolen car might be at the apartment complex. Ofc. R. Rivera and his partner drove through the complex several times throughout the night, looking for the car to no avail.
Then, they spotted it.
"At about 4am, they're doing one final check-through of the apartments, and the suspect drives the vehicle in front of them and parks it," HPD spokesperson Jodi Silva said.
Police said the officers tried to arrest the man driving the car -- identified as reportedly Demontre Bridges, 17 -- but he put up a fight, first breaking free from one officer and then struggling with the second.
Bridges then allegedly lunged at Rivera's partner several times, trying to reach his weapon.
Police said that's when Rivera pulled his weapon and fired, shooting Bridges in the side.
"The suspect gets away from the first officer. The second officer goes around to meet the suspect and the suspect lunges at the second officer to grab his Taser," HPD spokesperson Jodi Silva said. "At that point, the officer, in fear of his safety and in fear of the safety of his partner, discharges his weapon."
Silva added that the bullet only grazed the suspect, and he took off running.
Other officers were called in to set up a perimeter and look for Bridges. They found him a short time later with the help of K-9 units. He was treated at the scene and then taken to Fort Bend County Jail.
According to HPD, Rivera has been on the force for several years and was not hurt. He will be placed on three days of administrative duty, per department policy.
One of the officers who struggled with the suspect suffered some minor injuries, but we're told that officer should be fine.
HPD will be investigating the events leading up to the shooting.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 58 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Nice weather for Easter! 55 min ago
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck