Camera and cell phone help nab suspect for theft from Boy Scouts
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Someone was stealing from the Boy Scouts. Whoever it was did it more than once and may have kept on doing it, had it not been for a game warden and a camera.
Jacob Wallace, 23, is charged with theft for allegedly pumping his truck full of Camp Strake's gasoline for months. Rangers estimate he stole $1,500 worth.
Texas Parks and Wildlife game warden Brannon Meinkowsky helped to catch Wallace with a simple camera connected to his cell phone.
"When it takes photos, it will either send or email them to an individual. And in this case, it was me," he said. "Real time photos."
The warden's phone blew up with texts one night.
"I received a photo every minute," Meinkowsky explained. "This individual pulled up to the pumps -- basically photos depicted this individual taking the gas nozzle and filling his truck up with gas."
The pictures allowed the warden to get a description of the suspect and his vehicle, which he turned over to Conroe police, who arrested Wallace.
"Even though someone's not out there watching them, that doesn't mean they won't be caught," Meinkowsky cautioned.
A spokesperson for the Boy Scouts told me they won't comment on this incident because they want to move past it. But we did find out the same surveillance cameras allegedly captured Wallace stealing equipment, including small boats, from the Boy Scouts camp site. Police say he posted ads for the stolen equipment on Craigslist, but later deleted those ads. So in addition to theft, police charged Wallace with tampering with evidence.
Wallace has bonded out of jail and is due in court next month.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling 29 min ago
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston 17 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 53 min ago
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products