Houston-area voters making big decisions this Election Day
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Voters across the country headed to the polls on Election Day to decide a wide range of issues, from who will be their governor to raising the minimum wage.
In our area, the Houston mayoral race and the fate of the Astrodome are what drew many voters to the polls.
Incumbent Mayor Annise Parker won her quest for a third and final term, but the Astrodome's fate isn't as certain. Facing the threat of demolition, voters still said no to a $217 million bond proposal to redevelop the Astrodome into a Convention Hall.
And it's still unclear whether Harris County voters will decide to take out a $70 million bond to build a new central detention processing center. Right now, 51 percent of voters have approved the measure. If it is passed, the city of Houston, which plans on sharing the facility, will contribute another $30 million to the building's construction.
Meanwhile in the Houston City Council District A race, incumbent Helena Brown is holding off challenger Brenda Stardig, the former councilwoman she unseated in 2011. But in District F, incumbent Al Hoang lost his seat to challenger Richard Nguyen after he received nearly 52 percent of the votes. District C Councilwoman Ellen Cohen and and District H Councilman Ed Gonzalez both ran uncontested.
In the suburbs, Katy ISD taxpayers shot down a proposal to build what would have been the most expensive high school football stadium in the history of Texas. With 96 percent of precincts reporting, 54 percent of voters said no to a $99 million bond package, which included a $69 million14,000-seat stadium, as well as an agricultural complex and a science and technology center.
The cities of Baytown, Bellaire, Friendswood, Pasadena and West University place also held city-wide elections. There were also several school districts and municipal utility districts, due to elect leaders.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony 40 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom 22 min ago
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers 18 min ago
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Stacy Keibler marries boyfriend in Mexico
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston