Houston-area voters making big decisions this Election Day
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Voters across the country headed to the polls on Election Day to decide a wide range of issues, from who will be their governor to raising the minimum wage.
In our area, the Houston mayoral race and the fate of the Astrodome are what drew many voters to the polls.
Incumbent Mayor Annise Parker won her quest for a third and final term, but the Astrodome's fate isn't as certain. Facing the threat of demolition, voters still said no to a $217 million bond proposal to redevelop the Astrodome into a Convention Hall.
And it's still unclear whether Harris County voters will decide to take out a $70 million bond to build a new central detention processing center. Right now, 51 percent of voters have approved the measure. If it is passed, the city of Houston, which plans on sharing the facility, will contribute another $30 million to the building's construction.
Meanwhile in the Houston City Council District A race, incumbent Helena Brown is holding off challenger Brenda Stardig, the former councilwoman she unseated in 2011. But in District F, incumbent Al Hoang lost his seat to challenger Richard Nguyen after he received nearly 52 percent of the votes. District C Councilwoman Ellen Cohen and and District H Councilman Ed Gonzalez both ran uncontested.
In the suburbs, Katy ISD taxpayers shot down a proposal to build what would have been the most expensive high school football stadium in the history of Texas. With 96 percent of precincts reporting, 54 percent of voters said no to a $99 million bond package, which included a $69 million14,000-seat stadium, as well as an agricultural complex and a science and technology center.
The cities of Baytown, Bellaire, Friendswood, Pasadena and West University place also held city-wide elections. There were also several school districts and municipal utility districts, due to elect leaders.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller
- Katy ISD student reportedly abducted from campus
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Video: Cabbies compete for ride business
- Video: Pope Francis stirs up a little controversy
- Man wants to remove 'murder' tattoo before murder trial
- Club's opening night ends in deadly gunfire
- Boy, 9, sang gospel until abductor released him
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.