Houston-area voters making big decisions this Election Day
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Voters across the country headed to the polls on Election Day to decide a wide range of issues, from who will be their governor to raising the minimum wage.
In our area, the Houston mayoral race and the fate of the Astrodome are what drew many voters to the polls.
Incumbent Mayor Annise Parker won her quest for a third and final term, but the Astrodome's fate isn't as certain. Facing the threat of demolition, voters still said no to a $217 million bond proposal to redevelop the Astrodome into a Convention Hall.
And it's still unclear whether Harris County voters will decide to take out a $70 million bond to build a new central detention processing center. Right now, 51 percent of voters have approved the measure. If it is passed, the city of Houston, which plans on sharing the facility, will contribute another $30 million to the building's construction.
Meanwhile in the Houston City Council District A race, incumbent Helena Brown is holding off challenger Brenda Stardig, the former councilwoman she unseated in 2011. But in District F, incumbent Al Hoang lost his seat to challenger Richard Nguyen after he received nearly 52 percent of the votes. District C Councilwoman Ellen Cohen and and District H Councilman Ed Gonzalez both ran uncontested.
In the suburbs, Katy ISD taxpayers shot down a proposal to build what would have been the most expensive high school football stadium in the history of Texas. With 96 percent of precincts reporting, 54 percent of voters said no to a $99 million bond package, which included a $69 million14,000-seat stadium, as well as an agricultural complex and a science and technology center.
The cities of Baytown, Bellaire, Friendswood, Pasadena and West University place also held city-wide elections. There were also several school districts and municipal utility districts, due to elect leaders.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home