Fire truck collides with SUV while responding to two-alarm fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A two-alarm fire at a southwest Houston apartment complex has displaced two families, and injured one firefighter. And one of the fire trucks rushing to the scene was involved in an accident that sent a firefighter and another person to the hospital.
Just after 5pm Wednesday, the Houston Fire Department received a call about a fire that had erupted at an apartment complex off Bellfontaine and Academy.
As firefighters driving Engine 51 rushed to the scene, they collided with an SUV in the 8400 block of Renwick. The driver of the SUV was transported to a hospital, and a firefighter also was transported as a precaution.
Another fire truck was dispatched to the scene of the apartment complex, so there was no delay in response time.
However, firefighters ran into another problem: wind. About 20 minutes after they put out the flames, the blaze reignited and firefighters spent another 40 minutes trying to completely extinguish it.
"When a fire is pushed by the wind, it's a wind-driven fire and poses an extreme danger to the firefighters. We're very weary of it and we have special tactics that we utilize during those kinds of fires," HFD's Steve Cichon said.
A firefighter suffered minor injuries while battling the fire and was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital.
No residents were injured, but a dog was killed. The fire damaged three units and left two families displaced.
Families who were allowed to returned to their apartments have no power until Thursday morning.
Meanwhile, family and friends, as well as the Red Cross, are helping the displaced families.
Arson detectives are still investigating the cause of the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 44 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 45 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game