Fire breaks out at popular restaurant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Fans of the House of Pies in Upper Kirby will have to find a different breakfast spot after the restaurant went up in smoke overnight.
The restaurant has been open on Kirby Drive 24 hours a day for nearly 50 years, but it looks like it will have to be shut down for a little while due to fire damage.
About 40 customers were inside the building when things started to get a little smoky. A customer alerted the manager after seeing the smoke coming from the roof. The place was evacuated and the fire department was called out to stop the one-alarm fire before it got any worse.
"They told me there's a little bit of structural damage on the outside on the roof," said House of Pies manager Greg Smith. "I don't really know much more than that right now. It doesn't look like we'll be down for long."
The manager says they plan to be back up and running long before the Thanksgiving holiday. Meantime, the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home