Man tries to put out house fire with water hose in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An overnight fire in southwest Houston has left a family without a home. Fire crews say that fire started in their chimney.
It happened at a home on Riceville School Road and West Place just after midnight. Fire officials say the house didn't have a working heater, so they decided to use the fireplace to keep warm and that's what apparently led to this fire.
According to fire officials, this was the first time this season the fireplace was used in the house and apparently all of the soot wasn't cleaned out.
The homeowner says he jumped on the roof of the home to try to stop the fire by using a garden hose. That's when firefighters arrived and made him get down.
Eventually, a hole in roof had to be cut by firefighters in order to stop the flames from spreading.
"I tried to help you because I have my wife and my kids and everyone nervous," said homeowner Felepe Fragosa, Jr. "I tried to help the fire department."
Fire officials say this is that time of year where people need to make sure their fireplaces are ready for fires.
The family of five was not injured. They are now staying with a neighbor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters 52 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou