HISD officer opens fire outside Barbara Jordan HS
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An officer with the Houston Independent School District opened fire this morning, after a driver apparently put his life in danger.
A single gunshot rang out in the parking lot of Barbara Jordan High School just before 8:30am Thursday.
"It was crazy, like all the students were saying they're shooting outside and there were people everywhere," said senior Robert Smith.
According to HISD, a school police officer saw two men trying to break into a car, and ordered them to stop. Instead, the man who had broken into the car jumped back in the getaway car.
"The driver immediately put the car back in drive and accelerated toward the officer," said HISD Police Chief Robert Mock. "The officer, stepping out of the way, discharged his weapon one time at the vehicle."
the suspects got away, and the officer wasn't injured. But parents got some frantic calls from their kids.
Parent Jacqueline Williams said, "He just called my phone, said, 'Momma, I hear gunshots. They're shooting out here at the school. Hurry up and come get me, I'm in the restroom hiding.'"
Some students, though, said they didn't even know there was a problem. According to the principal, a call went out to parents in English and Spanish 45 minutes after the incident. Some came to take their kids home, but most students stayed in class.
"The students and staff here have been fantastic," said Principal John Ross McAlpine. "They did a great job."
The suspects were seen leaving the campus in a lime green pickup. So far, police have not found those two men. As for the students here, the principal is encouraging them not to leave valuables in their vehicles.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman 26 min ago
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school 21 min ago
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested