Valuable, artist cow stolen from Houston business
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Here's something you don't hear very often: A cow has gone missing in the Heights. And not just any cow; we're talking about a brightly painted cow statue that has flat out vanished.
This bizarre cow theft definitely has people in the Heights buzzing right now. Folks are wondering who hauled off a huge cow statue.
Thunder, the large and colorful cow, is at the center of a theft investigation right now.
"Over the weekend, somebody lifted her," said Ourblok employee Scott Talley.
Worried workers of the community-based business in the Heights say the cow statue was stolen from their yard on Center Street sometime between Saturday and Sunday.
"Thunder was very visible from the street. You could see it right here, and there's a brown spot where Thunder was placed," Ourblok employee Demarcus Fisher said.
The workers say Thunder, with her bright yellow coat, fiery red horns and metal flames, was more than just an artsy cow. They say she's been the company's mascot for years and a popular addition to parades across Texas.
"You know in the old days, they used to shoot people that rustled cattle, and it's hard to believe again, that somebody would just lift a cow out of somebody's business lot and think that it's OK for them to take that cow," Talley said.
And the workers say the thieves who carried off the bulky fiberglass beast had to have help. The statue's about six feet long and weighs nearly 150 pounds.
"I would assume that they had to have at least two or three people to help and a truck as well," Fisher said.
And since someone's stolen their Thunder, Ourblok's hoping these missing cow fliers can help bring back their massive mascot.
Ourblok has beefed up security, and the company's offering a modest reward to anyone who can help police find the stolen statue.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW 11 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 6 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'