Retired Harris County Sheriff's Office sergeant accused of sexually assaulting child
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Disturbing allegations are being lodged against a retired veteran of the Harris County Sheriff's Office. A former sergeant is now in trouble with the law, accused of sexually assaulting a child.
John Van Trump, 68, appeared before a judge in a courtroom he's all too familiar with. Ironically, the former Harris County Sheriff's sergeant used to process records for this court.
Van Trump was arrested Friday morning, accused of sexually assaulting a girl younger than six years old on or before July 2010. His charge is considered a super crime. The details of the alleged attack are too gruesome to publicly share.
"This is a new law in Texas that's patterned after Jessica's Law. And if people remember Jessica, she was a young lady that was sexually assaulted years ago in Florida," KTRK legal analyst Joel Androphy said.
Androphy says if convicted, Van Trump could face a minimum sentence of 25 years in jail and a max sentence of life in prison.
"Unfortunately, we are going to see a lot more of these super charges because there's a lot of sick people, but the statute is in place to keep people like this, that have committed these crimes, in jail for a long time," Androphy said.
Van Trump retired from the Harris County Sheriff'S Office after serving for about 35 years. The department doesn't believe he committed any crimes while on the force.
"When you hear a police officer committing a crime as heinous as this, the you wonder how this gentleman ever served under the public for that many years without being noticed for peculiarities," Androphy said.
Van Trump will remain in jail without bond.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 5 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her 10 min ago
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack 26 min ago
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid 22 min ago
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube 20 min ago
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos