Identical twin brothers in Houston recall their military service during World War II
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There are not many World War II veterans left these days, and in honor of this Veterans Day, we wanted to introduce you to a pair of twins who served their country in the 1940s.
Francis and Robert Catlin are not your typical twins. Besides being identical, both served their country in World War II.
"At that time, the Coast Guard was desperately short of people to serve as port security," Francis Catlin said.
Francis served in the port of Baltimore while going to medical school, and brother Robert joined the Navy and then headed to Harvard.
"I then went to the U.S. Naval mid-ships school in Notre Dame and got my commission there with honors in ordinance," Robert Catlin said.
Robert eventually ended up in Washington D.C. When the war ended, he went to Princeton and got a master's degree in health and medical physics.
Francis eventually became a doctor, performing more than 1,500 surgeries on servicemen and their dependents around the world.
Robert worked for the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency and was at both Three Mile Island and Chernobyl.
While neither saw combat, Veterans Day is a special time for them.
"I guess I just have a feeling of gratitude for the armed services," Robert Catlin said. "We could not do without them."
The brothers are originally from Connecticut and now both live at The Buckingham senior living community in Houston. They said they appreciate how people in Houston show their support for veterans of all U.S. conflicts.
And check back Monday as we stream the city's Veterans Day Parade on abc13.com and our mobile news app: Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jeff ehling
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 9 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 43 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 45 min ago
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal
- Viral video to raise money for animals 16 min ago
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20 24 min ago