Girl tries to break up shooting between boyfriend and her ex
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- One teen is in the hospital and another is under arrest after confrontation before school.
It all started when a teen arrived in the 300 block of Jewel Street to give a couple of girls a ride to school. According to Conroe police, Jose Cardenas, 19, was waiting for his girlfriend and her friend when an ex-boyfriend got upset. When Angel Hernandez, Jr., 18, who had once dated the girl, saw her approach Cardenas' waiting vehicle, police say he advanced on the victim and began shooting.
Cardenas was struck at least once while sitting in his vehicle. After the gun malfunctioned, police say Hernandez opened the car door, pulled the victim from the car and pistol-whipped him.
The girl tried to intervene and was assaulted as well, struck with the pistol in the head and face area.
Police say Cardenas tried to get away on foot, but Hernandez chased him down and assaulted him again. The girl was able to get the gun away, but the assault continued until Conroe Police Officers arrived on scene and intervened.
The assault took place as a Conroe ISD school bus was approaching the area to pick up students. None of the students on the bus or waiting for the bus were injured.
Officials with Conroe ISD released the following statement: "While picking up students for school, a Conroe High School bus happened upon a criminal act in progress that resulted in police action. In addition, a few Conroe High Ninth Grade Campus students were at their bus stop when they witnessed the criminal act. There is an ongoing police investigation, and at this point details are very limited. At no point during the incident were our students threatened. We have made personal contact with the families of all the students that were on the bus or at the bus stop at the time. Our counseling staff is supporting any student that may need assistance. Conroe Police Department is handling the investigation, so anyone with relevant information should contact Conroe Police Department."
Automated calls from the principals of Conroe High School and Conroe High Ninth Grade Campus were sent out to parents.
Cardenas was taken by ambulance to Conroe Regional Hospital. Hernandez was arrested and transported to Montgomery County Jail for charges of aggravated assault and attempted murder. Police say the girl and Hernandez are students at Conroe High School.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home