Pearland Boy Scout honored for saving 5-year-old boy from drowning
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- The Boy Scout motto is 'be prepared' and when one 12-year-old scout in Pearland saw his 5-year-old neighbor drowning, he was prepared to save his life.
Yesterday Jakob Patino received the Boy Scouts medal of merit for his actions. He developed a strategy to get his neighbor out of the water without frightening him.
"Most kids that age wouldn't comprehend you're going to drown if you don't get out and so I took it as a game, as a swimming race so he wouldn't feel scared or pressured and freak out," Patino said.
He says his natural instincts kicked in since he already has a swimming merit badge along with life-saving and first aid.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?