Pearland Boy Scout honored for saving 5-year-old boy from drowning
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- The Boy Scout motto is 'be prepared' and when one 12-year-old scout in Pearland saw his 5-year-old neighbor drowning, he was prepared to save his life.
Yesterday Jakob Patino received the Boy Scouts medal of merit for his actions. He developed a strategy to get his neighbor out of the water without frightening him.
"Most kids that age wouldn't comprehend you're going to drown if you don't get out and so I took it as a game, as a swimming race so he wouldn't feel scared or pressured and freak out," Patino said.
He says his natural instincts kicked in since he already has a swimming merit badge along with life-saving and first aid.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games 24 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards