Pearland Boy Scout honored for saving 5-year-old boy from drowning
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- The Boy Scout motto is 'be prepared' and when one 12-year-old scout in Pearland saw his 5-year-old neighbor drowning, he was prepared to save his life.
Yesterday Jakob Patino received the Boy Scouts medal of merit for his actions. He developed a strategy to get his neighbor out of the water without frightening him.
"Most kids that age wouldn't comprehend you're going to drown if you don't get out and so I took it as a game, as a swimming race so he wouldn't feel scared or pressured and freak out," Patino said.
He says his natural instincts kicked in since he already has a swimming merit badge along with life-saving and first aid.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 11 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 6 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 33 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 14 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 41 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born