DNA test identifies children's ahletic abilities
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Many parents are looking for an advantage for their young athletes. One company thinks their test might help your athlete reach peak performance. We drafted two athletes to learn whether they were born to go pro.
Ten-year-old Marc Barbir has been playing soccer since he was four.
"I'm really fast so everybody, when they're chasing me, I'm running up and everybody is way behind me and its really easy for me to juke some people out," he said.
Marc and his family aren't planning for a scholarship-caliber career, extra coaching, or year-round soccer teams. But ten-year-old Jamil Qasem is developing an elite level game. He plays on multiple teams, and devotes six days a week to soccer.
"I want to get one percent better every time I play," Qasem said.
Both boys agreed to find out what their DNA says about their athletic ability though a simple swab of the mouth sent to a company called Genomic Express.
It's meant to show whether your kid is physically designed for endurance sports like swimming, biking, and long distance running, or built for power sports like football, gymnastics, baseball, or sprinting. Sports like tennis, soccer, and basketball require a mix of both.
Two weeks after the swab, both families log online to get their results.
The Barbirs find out Marc's genetically built for power and those quick bursts of speed. Remember, he bragged about being really fast.
"So would I do anything differently? No, but I think it will help him someday to know how to better prepare himself," said Marc's mother, DeVaun Barbir.
Jamil' s results show an even balance in strength and endurance, just right for his soccer dreams. But in the end, even Jamil's dad knows good genes can get you so far.
The company stresses results aren't meant to keep kids away from certain sports but to help them train better by taking advantage of their DNA.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, gina gaston
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery 16 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Crews to assess damage to rig struck by large wave
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos