Fiery wreck at toll plaza kills two on Beltway 8 in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people were killed when a trash truck came colliding into cars in a horrific collision on Beltway 8 near Veterans Memorial.
Prior to the accident, authorities received calls about a reckless truck driver, cutting in and out of traffic. The next call the came in was about the fiery crash at the toll plaza.
In all, four cars were struck while waiting in line to go through the toll booth at about 11am. Occupants in two of the vehicles escaped after the collision. A woman in a third vehicle did not.
"The vehicle on its side was already too engulfed in flames to do anything with it," said witness Brian McKinney. "It was already that bad."
Two people were killed -- the woman inside the burning vehicle, as well as the driver of the trash truck.
Occupants in two other vehicles were injured, including a deputy and his wife. Those injuries are not life threatening. One toll collector was slightly injured by flying glass.
An investigation is ongoing. The victims' names have not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom 9 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders