Fiery wreck at toll plaza kills two on Beltway 8 in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people were killed when a trash truck came colliding into cars in a horrific collision on Beltway 8 near Veterans Memorial.
Prior to the accident, authorities received calls about a reckless truck driver, cutting in and out of traffic. The next call the came in was about the fiery crash at the toll plaza.
In all, four cars were struck while waiting in line to go through the toll booth at about 11am. Occupants in two of the vehicles escaped after the collision. A woman in a third vehicle did not.
"The vehicle on its side was already too engulfed in flames to do anything with it," said witness Brian McKinney. "It was already that bad."
Two people were killed -- the woman inside the burning vehicle, as well as the driver of the trash truck.
Occupants in two other vehicles were injured, including a deputy and his wife. Those injuries are not life threatening. One toll collector was slightly injured by flying glass.
An investigation is ongoing. The victims' names have not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse 16 min ago
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos