Police: Illegal street race kills woman, causes power outage in Pasadena
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- An alleged illegal street race in Pasadena killed an innocent woman and caused an entire neighborhood to lose power overnight.
It happened just before 9:30pm Friday on Pasadena Boulevard near Strawberry.
Pasadena police said two pickup trucks were street racing, and both drivers lost control.
One of the drivers slammed into a utility pole, causing a power outage, officials. But the other pickup crashed into the side of a car as it turned onto Pasadena Blvd.
Police said the woman driving the car was trapped inside her vehicle for about 30 minutes. By the time firefighters were able to free her, it was too late. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities later identified her as Maria Rodriguez.
No one else was seriously injured.
According to investigators, the drivers of both pickups could face multiple charges.
"We have to reconstruct the accident, you know? Try to reconstruct it and figure out what did happen, and then those decisions will be made with the district attorney," Pasadena police spokesperson Vance Mitchell said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course