Police: Illegal street race kills woman, causes power outage in Pasadena
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- An alleged illegal street race in Pasadena killed an innocent woman and caused an entire neighborhood to lose power overnight.
It happened just before 9:30pm Friday on Pasadena Boulevard near Strawberry.
Pasadena police said two pickup trucks were street racing, and both drivers lost control.
One of the drivers slammed into a utility pole, causing a power outage, officials. But the other pickup crashed into the side of a car as it turned onto Pasadena Blvd.
Police said the woman driving the car was trapped inside her vehicle for about 30 minutes. By the time firefighters were able to free her, it was too late. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities later identified her as Maria Rodriguez.
No one else was seriously injured.
According to investigators, the drivers of both pickups could face multiple charges.
"We have to reconstruct the accident, you know? Try to reconstruct it and figure out what did happen, and then those decisions will be made with the district attorney," Pasadena police spokesperson Vance Mitchell said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash 13 min ago
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured... 45 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever