Man killed in gruesome crash on South Beltway 8 at Bellfort
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Investigators are looking to see if speed was a factor in a deadly crash Sunday morning in southwest Houston.
The accident involved several vehicles on Beltway 8 near West Bellfort, closing the southbound lanes of the Beltway for hours while investigators tried to piece together the gruesome crash scene.
It all started just before 6am when a Nissan Xterra was involved in a minor wreck on the Beltway southbound near West Bellfort in southwest Houston.
"The accident was southbound on the toll road, just past 59 on the inside lane, when the two vehicles collided," Harris County Pct. 5 Constable's Office Capt. Terry Thurmond said.
A good Samaritan in a flat-bed pickup truck reportedly stopped to help clear traffic away from the scene. Moments later, a green Honda rear-ended his truck and came to rest on the opposite shoulder.
"There was a good Samaritan that had stopped for a prior accident and was trying to move traffic or slow traffic down from the prior accident when his vehicle was struck," Thurmond said.
The driver of the Honda was killed instantly.
The driver of the Nissan involved in the first crash suffered only minor injuries and did not need to be taken to the hospital. That driver and the good Samaritan were out of the way of the third driver when he crashed, officials said.
The investigation is ongoing, and the victim has not ben identified.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play 38 min ago
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days