Family of woman killed in alleged illegal street race in Pasadena speaks out
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- The loved ones of an innocent woman who was killed during what police say was a case of street racing are speaking publically about their loss.
Officials say 43-year-old Maria Rodriguez was killed when two pickup trucks lost control while racing on Pasadena Boulevard. One of the trucks slammed into her car, trapping her.
According to investigators, Rodriguez was just an innocent bystander who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Rodriguez's best friend and a spokesperson for her family, Ariana De Valdivia, says the mother of five was headed to pick up her children when the crash happened.
De Valdivia told us this tragedy is compounded by the loss of the children's father in another accident less than a year and a half ago.
"The youngest son was only four years old when this happened, so he's barely getting to understand that his dad is no longer here," family spokesperson said. "And now this sweet little six-year-old boy now has to face the fact that his mom is also gone, too."
Authorities have said the two drivers who were allegedly racing will face charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 36 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Notable events that happened on this date in history 23 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Pearland mother finalist for 'Unstoppable Mom' contest 11 min ago
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 44 min ago
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets 33 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday! 54 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with these packing tips
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom