Family of woman killed in alleged illegal street race in Pasadena speaks out
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- The loved ones of an innocent woman who was killed during what police say was a case of street racing are speaking publically about their loss.
Officials say 43-year-old Maria Rodriguez was killed when two pickup trucks lost control while racing on Pasadena Boulevard. One of the trucks slammed into her car, trapping her.
According to investigators, Rodriguez was just an innocent bystander who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Rodriguez's best friend and a spokesperson for her family, Ariana De Valdivia, says the mother of five was headed to pick up her children when the crash happened.
De Valdivia told us this tragedy is compounded by the loss of the children's father in another accident less than a year and a half ago.
"The youngest son was only four years old when this happened, so he's barely getting to understand that his dad is no longer here," family spokesperson said. "And now this sweet little six-year-old boy now has to face the fact that his mom is also gone, too."
Authorities have said the two drivers who were allegedly racing will face charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby 43 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 27 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 27 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years 4 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 57 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 11 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest 15 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash