Principal arrested on Sharpstown HS campus, accused of failing to report child abuse
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An HISD high school principal has been arrested, accused of failing to report child abuse.
The district sent out a release late Thursday afternoon, stating Sharpstown High School principal Rob Gasparello was arrested on campus.
Gasparello was in a 2012 PBS documentary called "Drop Out Nation." His mission has been to keep kids in school, kids like Connor Gerber.
"He tried to be active in everyone's academic life, tried to make things better for all of us," Gerber said.
But his reputation is now on the line after Gasparello was arrested Thursday afternoon for failing to report child abuse.
"Mr. Gasaparello was arrested and my mouth was just open," Sharptown parent Tonya Jones said.
Jones found out from a recorded phone call sent out to all the parents.
District officials also stated more administrators are expected to be arrested in connection with the child abuse but would not elaborate on any details.
"I feel like if someone did come to Mr. G and say, 'Mr. G I'm getting abused at home,' or whatever, I feel that he would have done something about it," student Karencia Jones said.
Gasparello was gained national attention for his dedication to his students. He appeared on CNN and even was recognized by Governor Rick Perry and featured on the governor's YouTube page.
"Parents like me need to really know the details of the situation. You can't really back someone unless you really know," Jones said.
The district also said the priority starting Friday will be to make sure things run smoothly and that learning continues without any interruptions. Additional administrators will be there to make sure that happens.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 2 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Recognize either of these guys? 49 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom 46 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...
- Chrysler recalls 49,000 Chargers to fix headlights
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Amazon accused of cheating customers