Flare burning at Atmos Energy in Sugar Land
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- A lot of you in Sugar Land are probably seeing something lighting up the sky.
According to the city's web site, Atmos Energy is conducting a controlled burn near S. University Boulevard and Elkins as part of a routine maintenance for a gas line that runs from I-10 just south of Elkins Road to the Brazos Landing area.
The city says it started last Thursday and ends tonight.
Every 10 years, Atmos Energy is required to examine the pipeline and in order to do so, they use a 'pipeline investigation device' to look for any issues in the line. They have to release gas from the line and the only safe and clean way to do that is to use a flare.
The city says a reverse 911 call went out to 40,000 homes last Friday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
sugar land, local
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View' 34 min ago
- Crews to assess damage to rig struck by large wave 55 min ago
- Argentine zoo shows off white tiger triplets
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos