Flare burning at Atmos Energy in Sugar Land
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- A lot of you in Sugar Land are probably seeing something lighting up the sky.
According to the city's web site, Atmos Energy is conducting a controlled burn near S. University Boulevard and Elkins as part of a routine maintenance for a gas line that runs from I-10 just south of Elkins Road to the Brazos Landing area.
The city says it started last Thursday and ends tonight.
Every 10 years, Atmos Energy is required to examine the pipeline and in order to do so, they use a 'pipeline investigation device' to look for any issues in the line. They have to release gas from the line and the only safe and clean way to do that is to use a flare.
The city says a reverse 911 call went out to 40,000 homes last Friday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
sugar land, local
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Young artists put on unique display
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods