After mass CPS adoption ceremony, 80 kids find new home in time for holidays
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- While many might take having a mom and dad for granted, today there are dozens of kids that took the long road to having a real family.
In a mass adoption downtown at the Juvenile Justice Center, about 80 kids will have a permanent home for the holidays. And the McMullen family just grew by two. It's taken the family a year-and-half of at-home evaluations and court hearings to officially call Eveli and Jabez their new son and daughter.
"It's just been a really long process and we're just really excited," Erica McMullen said.
The McMullens already have a child of their own. They adopted a little boy two years ago and decided to add a biological brother and sister to their family.
"They just came into our home and we didn't know anything about them," McMullen said.
And now with matching blue Converse showing a sign of solidarity among dad and his boys, the McMullen home will be a little more vibrant for the holiday.
"Mostly just happy we can add a couple of McMullens and grow our families," John McMullen said.
And dad says they are throwing a party, and some dancing will be involved.
CPS also tells us there are still more than 1,500 kids waiting to be adopted in Harris County.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, erik barajas
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet 20 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette' 49 min ago
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 47 min ago
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 17 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant