Fatal shooting of 16-year-old Lee High School student in Bellaire appears to be accidental
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 16-year-old high school student was fatally shot Saturday night at a southwest Houston apartment, and police now believe it was an accident.
The shooting happened around 8pm in the 6100 block of Bellaire Boulevard near Hillcroft.
Lee High School student Edwin Rajo's family tells us he was visiting a friend at the Bellaire Garden Apartments when he was shot in the chest. Rajo died at the scene.
According to Houston police, Rajo and two friends were playing with a .45 handgun when it accidentally discharged.
The shooting will be referred to a grand jury. As of Sunday, no charges had been filed.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 9 min ago
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale