Teachers union discusses cheating allegations at Jefferson, Atherton Elementary with parents
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Things got a little heated at a town hall meeting surrounding reassigned teachers over what school officials call "testing irregularities."
The meeting was hosted by the Houston Federation of Teachers, and parents who attended it say they want their voices heard.
The parents in the Jefferson community at Tuesday night's meeting had many concerns. One is that their children's learning environment was interrupted when teachers were reassigned from their jobs.
"What has not been mentioned is that these teachers spent four days a week staying after school and half of Saturday to make sure these students succeeded," parent Robert Gonzales said.
The meeting comes after HISD said independent investigators uncovered information about possibly student testing regularities last year at Jefferson Elementary and Atherton Elementary.
Two dozens teachers have since been reassigned, including Brian Bishop's wife.
"They don't find out until that day when they're going to do the testing. They don't know who is testing whose students, but they never test their own students. I don't understand how they can possibly cheat," Bishop said.
State Rep. Jessica Farrar says she'll be taking the comments to HISD's superintendent.
"They feel like the investigation is more of a witch hunt instead of something that is a mutual process," Farrar said.
District officials have said they will have no additional comments while the investigation is ongoing.
Late Tuesday, State Sen. Sylvia Garcia issued the following statement:
"Parents have some serious concerns about the well being of their children at Jefferson Elementary and the responsiveness of the administration. We are working with Representative Farrar's office to ensure that all of their concerns are being fairly investigated and that appropriate action is being taken by the school and HISD. We thank these parents for holding the school and school district accountable by making their voices heard."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 56 min ago
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!