Anti-Black Friday shopping event held in The Heights to kick off Small Business Saturday
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some shoppers are shunning the big crowds at the mall and instead shopping at small, locally-owned businesses ahead of Small Business Saturday.
With just more than three weeks until Christmas, Kristara Schnippert has some shopping to do.
"I don't like fighting over things and waiting in the long lines," she said. "It's just not worth it to me."
So Schnippert opted to browse the small businesses along 19th Street in The Heights.
The string of locally-owned shops opened Friday for an "anti-Black Friday" event and kickoff to Small Business Saturday. The event features shopping, food trucks and live music from 5 to 9pm.
"Keeps the money here, and we also try to step it up and keep unique items," said Ken Long, owner of Bliss on 19th. "Shoppers can see what's new that they won't find at a big box store."
The smaller stores still offer big bargains.
"At 1 o'clock till closing -- we close at 9 tonight -- everything is buy two, get two free. So, it's everything in the store, they can mix and match," said Sloan Gill at Langford Market.
The smaller stores also tout less hassle, so you can get in, grab the things you need and get going.
"Pretty easy, yeah. First parking lot we pulled into, parked, walked the rest of the way," shopper Jason Crowell said. "Weather's perfect, so good time to do it."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 22 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 1 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 4 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 35 min ago
- Students charged after dog forced to drink beer 31 min ago
- California pushes to finish driverless car rules 27 min ago
- AP source: Justice department probing GM recall 19 min ago
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
59 min ago