Man charged after allegedly throwing North Shore football coach to the ground
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a dramatic ending to a playoff game Friday night between North Shore and Cy-Fair, but not just because of the action on the field.
Moments after North Shore lost the game, police say Manuel DeLeon jumped the railing in a fit of rage and threw Coach David Aymond to the ground.
"He grabbed him up here right around his neck and pushed him down," Spring Branch ISD Police Chief Chuck Brawner said, "And he had to be forcibly removed from the coach."
A lot of people witnessed this, so you can imagine it was a big talker as school started again after Thanksgiving break.
"I was just like shocked, really. I didn't know what to say," 10th grader Trinity Brown said.
What's worse is that DeLeon is the father of one of North Shore's football players.
"Nobody should've put violence on anything. You're an adult you should know better," 11th grader Jennifer Velasquez said.
Galena Park ISD released the following statement regarding the allegations:
- "The North Shore Mustang football program has enjoyed great success under Coach Aymond. While the loss in the playoffs was disappointing, attacking a coach was in no way justified. It is regrettable this parent made such a poor decision. Coach Aymond is at work as usual today and will continue to prepare each and every athlete for success on and off the football field."
Because Coach Aymond is older than 65, DeLeon was charged with Injury to an Elderly Person.
"He needs to be in jail. Hopefully he learns his lesson and it sets an example for the kids," parent Denise Arvin said.
DeLeon bonded out of jail. He's due back in court in January.
Coach Aymond was back at school on Monday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham' 59 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
59 min ago