Car explosion leads to Clear Lake house fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family was able to safely get out of their Clear Lake home after it caught fire early this morning. The fire reportedly started with an explosion in the driveway.
We're told a car in front of the home on Rill at Beachcomber exploded, catching an SUV next to it on fire. Flames then spread to the home. Firefighters say most of the damage was to the roof and attic of the house, with some damage to the garage as well.
Parents and their three teenagers were all in the home asleep at the time. One of the teens heard the explosion and when he saw what was happening, tried to put the flames out with a garden hose.
That teen ended up calling for help and got his family out.
"The car that was in our driveway caught on fire. We don't know how," said homeowner Shari Early. "We were in bed. My son woke up, heard the explosion and got us out of the house."
Arson investigators were on the scene, trying to figure out how the car exploded.
All five residents of the home, including three children ages 12, 14 and 16, were able to make it out safely. The inside of the home received only light smoke damage.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
clear lake, local
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 12 min ago
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop 10 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects